For seasonal events, the latest outdoor adventures, shopping, food and drink, be sure to check out our Summer Magazine.
Click here to view our Summer Magazine
You want your meeting group or convention to be more sustainable, but you aren't sure what measures you can take to do so. Check out this list of tips and suggestions to make your life a little bit easier (and greener too!)
- Establish an environmental statement or policy for the meeting.
- Inform your attendees of your green efforts.
- Choose a meeting location that has most or all amenities within walking distance of restaurants, hotels and meeting locations.
- Use a meeting venue that has dedicated itself to green practices.
- Choose a hotel that offers a linen reuse program and/or bulk dispensers for shampoos and soaps.
- Use paperless technology. Inform attendees through a conference website, utilize electronic registration and direct all advertising efforts through online sources.
- Print meeting materials on recycled paper and print double-sided.
- Make presentations available in PDF formats so attendees can follow along on their personal laptops or smart phones. SlideShare is a great source!
- Place recycling bins near the exit of meeting rooms to encourage recycling.
- Advise attendees to use public transportation around the host city instead of taking a cab or using a hotel driver.
- Prepare food with fresh, local produce and send unused food to a food distribution center.
- Shop at local retailers.
- Use natural light when possible.
- Reuse banners and meeting signage.
- Use name tags in reusable holders.
- Offer water and refreshments in pitchers rather than in individual plastic bottles.
- Encourage attendees to bring their own reusable water bottles from home to reduce the need for plastic bottles and cups.
- Use reusable, washable dishes, linens and utensils.
- Recommend volunteer projects that promote a green community (e.g. planting trees)