I have lived in the suburbs of Spokane for nearly 6 years now and love the area, but let me say that I especially enjoy my wonderful neighborhood, Cheney. This community is best known as the home of Eastern Washington University (EWU) and because of the University, the Cheney community boasts lots of great things for visitors to do and see.
- If you like being outside and enjoy nature, there's tons of room to roam in one of Cheney's beautiful parks. It's also home to Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge (encompassing over 16,000 acres!)
- If sports are more your style, you are in luck! Eastern Washington University has partnered with the community to make all of the school's recreational facilities open to the public! All in one building, you can play ice hockey, practice your rock climbing skills, get your sweat on in a state of the art work out facility and lots more.
- Just across the street from the recreation center is Eagle Athletics! It's that time of year when you can still catch some football action at "The Inferno" at Roos Field. The field is bright red encouraging fans to get in the Eagle spirit! And this Friday, Dec. 17, EWU is playing Villanova in the Football Championship Subdivision semifinals! Tickets are still on sale for the game so get them before they're gone!
- Or gear up for the throw-down on the hardwood with basketball season at Reese Court (the very court where NBA Detroit Pistons guard, Rodney Stuckey played!) Athletic action is always happening so check the website for dates and times. Oh, and make sure to wear your red!
- After working up an appetite cheering on the Eagles or enjoying some time in Cheney, head over to Lenny's Italian Restaurant for some fabulous Italian cuisine. This quaint restaurant is nicely decorated, has delicious food and impeccable service!
I love my neighborhood and I hope you enjoy it too! If you have been able to visit Cheney in the past, leave a comment and tell me how you liked it. Go Eags!