Sunny CURRENTLY: 81 °F High: 81 °F Low: 53 °F

Mark Baker
Spokane, Washington

My Spokane Coffee Survey

CoffeeI drink enough coffee to drown a moose, so I consider myself an expert consumer. For years, my favorite drink has been a dirty chai, shots of espresso poured into a chai tea latte. I have frequented many coffee shops in my search for that perfect dirty drink. I found a different flavor and experience at every stop. So last week when I walked into Brews Brothers Espresso Lounge on a friend's suggestion, I was ecstatic that I had found an epic dirty chai!
I was so excited to share my finding with the world, and frankly, I was shocked at their response. I was sure everyone would like my drink of choice and would want to know where to experience it. Instead, I found I was out of touch and in my own sheltered coffee world. So just for grins, I created a brief survey to expand my thinking.

What I Found

I found that virtually no one likes a dirty chai. Only 52% had even heard of a dirty chai and only 25% surveyed had tried one. The most shocking of all was that 0% of my taste test group listed the dirty chai as their favorite drink. Wow.
Aside from my personal disappointment, I did get some pretty awesome data to share. Here are some of the highlights:

So there you have it, a taste of how our town likes its coffee. I know that people don't drink my favorite dirty chai much, which I interpret as my taste being ahead of the curve.

If you are interested in my questions and/or you would like to take the survey, go here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L3ZYBRF

4,939 views

14 Comments:

Dirty chai's are my favorite too. I usually get mine with 2 shots, soy milk and no water. I was drinking Starbucks pretty exclusively but I recently tried Thomas Hammer's chai and I'm pretty impressed. My favorite is Atticus but I live in Coeur d'Alene so I don't get Atticus very often.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

I am so glad that you like dirty chais Mims. I completely agree, they have to be done right. I have had some that I couldn't finish before and it usually has to do with the type of chai they use. Spokane prides itself in being a coffee town, so the vast majority of our shops are top notch. It's great for me (and my coffee addiction) to live in Spokane.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

For a long time a dirty chai was my favorite drink but they have to be made right otherwise... blah!
I am from Bellingham Washington and so I have not experienced a lot of the coffee shops around the Spokane area so reading this blog has helped thanks.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Thanks Bennydoor. I will make a stop by INDABA coffee this week. I guess I can't really decide who has the best until I have tried them all.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

You don't know how happy that makes me brooka! See there are people that like dirty chais and this isn't something I made up everyone.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

You should try INDABA Coffee. Best coffee in town...

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Dirty chais are my absolute favorite drink! I prefer to make them at home with Roast House Coffee (Ride the Edge blend) but Jacob's Java makes a good one. I do enjoy vanilla lattes at Starbucks because the crew at the Hamilton Safeway makes good ones.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Chai tea AND coffee? Yikes...caffeine on top of caffeine....my heart is beating faster already. I will stick with my 3 shots of espresso over ice with a bit of 2 percent milk.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Way to be brave Bella! You have to let us know what you think of that dirty chai. I have taken some flak, because of my drink of choice, but I am standing by it.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

I love Atticus, but my favorite is Caffe Delicio on Monroe.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Not so sure coffee and tea are a good mix but I am willing to give it a try. I am headed to my favorite place Thomas Hammer and will ask for a Dirty Chai Coffee.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM Valeta Sweet wrote:

I really like Atticus, I definitely put it in my top 5 but I still have trouble deciding on the ultimate Spokane coffee shop when I am considering the atmosphere, coffee, location, parking, customer service, bakery items and food choices to name a few. We have somewhere around 180 coffee shops and drive-thru's in the county so I am happy for you Eric that you have found your place.

I am with you coffeesnob, the ladies at Brews Brothers Espresso Lounge always make my day brighter.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

I hate to admit that Starbucks has the consistancy, but for true coffee taste and the "Cheers" atmosphere. The girls at Brews Brothers Lounge make it an experience where youll not only enjoy your latte but want to come back for friendly atmosphere.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

Atticus is barnone the best coffee shop in Spokane.

On January 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM anonymous wrote:

801 W Riverside,   Ste 301, Spokane, WA 99201.
Reproduction or use of the contents on this site is prohibited without expressed written consent.
For more information please call 1(888)SPOKANE.

Powered by Simpleview