Tourism Promotion Area Funing Information
The purpose of TPA funds is to grow our tourism economy through increased visitor spending in Spokane County lodging establishments, as well as increased visitor and local spending at retail, restaurant, transportation, attraction and other local establishments. Annual market studies report that the travel industry in Spokane County generated approximately 10,040 hospitality jobs and $947 million in director visitor spending in Spokane County in 20151.
TPA funds are made available through the support of Spokane County, City of Spokane Valley and City of Spokane lodging businesses. For every occupied room night, guests are assessed a $2 per room, per night fee that is returned to Spokane County. Pursuant to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 35.101 and Spokane County Ordinance 4-0141, revenue collected from this assessment must be used for activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism promotion and convention business. These activities and expenditures include, but are not limited to, advertising, publicizing, operating tourism destination marketing organizations or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists to the Spokane metropolitan area.
County Ordinance 4-0141, section 4 reads as follows:
USE OF SPECIAL ASSESSMENT REVENUES FOR THE PROMOTION OF TOURISM AND CONVENTION BUSINESS IN SPOKANE COUNTY.
The revenues from the Special Assessment levied by Spokane County on the Operators of Lodging Businesses situated within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area shall be used for the following purposes only:
- The funding of all activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism promotion and convention business within Spokane County as specified in the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area Budget.
- The marketing of convention business that benefits local tourism and lodging businesses in Spokane County.
- The marketing of Spokane County to the travel industry in order to benefit local tourism and lodging businesses within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area.
- The marketing of Spokane County to recruit major sporting events in order to promote local tourism and to benefit lodging businesses within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area.
1Source: Dean Runyan
BEFORE THE HOTEL AND MOTEL COMMISSION
IN THE MATTER OF CALLING A SPECIAL MEETING NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Spokane Hotel and Motel Commission ("Commission"), pursuant to the provisions of RCW 42.30.080, that a special meeting will be held by the Commission on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 commencing at 10:00 AM. The special meeting will be held at the Spokane Sports Commission, 714 N. Iron Bridge Way #202, Spokane, WA 99202.
The purpose of the meeting will be:
• To review 2017 Funding Application Presentations by Visit Spokane and the Spokane Sports Commission.
The terminology "action" as used herein shall mean deliberate, discuss, consider, review, evaluate, make a collective decision or take a vote on the above listed item.
Any person may appear at the time, place and date set forth herein above and observe the action(s) of the Commission. No public testimony will be accepted on the item listed above. The Commission may hold an executive session during the special meeting for any reason set forth in RCW 42.30.110. The public will not be allowed to attend any executive session.
Additional information may be obtained on this notice by contacting Maureen Dodroe at 742-9380.
DATED THIS 7th day of October, 2016.
SPOKANE HOTEL MOTEL COMMISSION (aka TPA COMMISSION)
Denise Vickerman, Chair of the Commission
2017 Application Deadline Information
For 2017-2018 TPA fund awards, the Spokane Hotel and Motel Commission will accept applications until:
Friday, December 16, 2016, 4:30pm
Applicants whose event or programming meets the eligibility requirements stated in County Ordinance 4-0141 may be awarded funding based upon:
1) A proven or qualified ability to generate hotel-motel room nights and economic impact to the County
2) A qualified budget and marketing plan
3) Available TPA resources.
4) The event or program must take place and finish in the time period between February 2017 and March 2018.
Mandatory TPA Application Orientation Meeting
ALL applicants must attend a mandatory TPA Application Orientation Meeting. Meeting date, time and location is:
Monday, November 14, 2016
Quality Inn Downtown
110 East 4th Avenue
Spokane, WA 99202
Other Project Requirements
Approved projects must agree to:
1) Include the following information on print projects:
a. Our community's tourism website VisitSpokane.com
b. Acknowledgement of TPA grant: ‘Produced with support from Spokane County TPA funds' or the official TPA logo (to be provided by the TPA Manager);
2) Adhere to all legal requirements as stated in the RCW, Spokane County Ordinance and the signed funding contract.
3) Agree to provide a final report and samples of produced pieces to the TPA Manager upon completion of printed piece(s) and/or event.
1) Submit 12 copies of the attached application and any supporting documents to the TPA Manager (Visit Spokane).
2) Funding applications will be considered by the Spokane Hotel and Motel TPA Commission at a meeting in January, time and date to be announced. Applicants will be allowed five minutes for presentation followed by Q&A with the Commissioners. Funding recommendations will be determined at this meeting.
3) Contracts will be executed for approved projects between the applicant and Spokane County.
4) Expenditures must be used only for marketing of approved projects and for the services set forth in the Summary Project section of the contract.
5) Certified requests for grant funds should be made after contracts are executed and funds are spent in conjunction with the services described in the contract.
6) Failure to comply with any of the criteria listed here may require full repayment of TPA monies from the awarded organization to the TPA fund, enforceable by the Spokane County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.
Grant application can be found HERE.
For meeting and application information: