Tourism Promotion Area Funding Information
The purpose of TPA funds is to grow our tourism economy through increased visitor spending in Spokane County lodging establishments, as well as increased visitor and local spending at retail, restaurant, transportation, attraction and other local establishments. Annual market studies report that the travel industry in Spokane County generated approximately 10,250 hospitality jobs and $995 million in direct visitor spending in Spokane County in 2016
TPA funds are made available through the support of Spokane County, City of Spokane Valley and City of Spokane lodging businesses. For every occupied room night, guests are assessed a $2 per room, per night fee that is returned to Spokane County. Pursuant to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 35.101 and Spokane County Ordinance 4-0141, revenue collected from this assessment must be used for activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism promotion and convention business. These activities and expenditures include, but are not limited to, advertising, publicizing, operating tourism destination marketing organizations or otherwise distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming tourists to the Spokane metropolitan area.
County Ordinance 4-0141, section 4 reads as follows:
USE OF SPECIAL ASSESSMENT REVENUES FOR THE PROMOTION OF TOURISM AND CONVENTION BUSINESS IN SPOKANE COUNTY.
The revenues from the Special Assessment levied by Spokane County on the Operators of Lodging Businesses situated within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area shall be used for the following purposes only:
- The funding of all activities and expenditures designed to increase tourism promotion and convention business within Spokane County as specified in the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area Budget.
- The marketing of convention business that benefits local tourism and lodging businesses in Spokane County.
- The marketing of Spokane County to the travel industry in order to benefit local tourism and lodging businesses within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area.
- The marketing of Spokane County to recruit major sporting events in order to promote local tourism and to benefit lodging businesses within the Spokane County Tourism Promotion Area.
1Source: Dean Runyan
BEFORE THE SPOKANE HOTEL AND MOTEL COMMISSION
IN THE MATTER OF CALLING A SPECIAL MEETING
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Spokane Hotel and Motel Commission (“Commission”), pursuant to the provisions of RCW 42.30.080, that a special meeting will be held by the Commission on Friday, October 20, 2017 commencing at 10:30 AM. The special meeting will be held in the Board Room at the Visit Spokane office in the Wells Fargo Building, 601 W. First Avenue, Floor 10, Spokane, Washington 99201.
The purpose of the meeting will be:
• To hear 2018 application presentations by Visit Spokane and the Spokane Sports Commission.
• To determine recommendations to the Spokane County Board of Commissioners for 2018 budget and grant allocations between the organizations.
The terminology “action” as used herein shall mean deliberate, discuss, consider, review, evaluate, make a collective decision or take a vote on the above listed item.
Any person may appear at the time, place and date set forth herein above and observe the action(s) of the Commission. No public testimony will be accepted on the item listed above. The Commission may hold an executive session during the special meeting for any reason set forth in RCW 42.30.110. The public will not be allowed to attend any executive session.
Additional information may be obtained on this notice by contacting Maureen Dodroe at 742-9380.
DATED THIS 13th day of October, 2017.
SPOKANE HOTEL MOTEL COMMISSION (aka TPA COMMISSION)
Denise Vickerman, Chair of the Commission