1899 House was designed by the architect Loren Rand and constructed for the 10th Mayor of Spokane, Edward Louis Powell and his wife Dora. In this, its 116th year, the 1899 House features two luxury, short-term rental suites, complete with private baths. They are named for Dora Powell, and for her daughter and husband, the Rigbys. Dora's quiet room features soft gray-lavendar tones and a sleeping alcove with queen bed, a reading library, DVD movies, desk, large antique chest of drawers and a sunken jacuzzi tub in its private bathroom.
Across the hall, the Sunnier Rigby Suite, in its shades of sage green, gold and black, holds another queen bed, desk, a loveseat that can become a twin bed, a convenient wet bar with wine 'fridge, and a 7' rainbird shower, with heated towel racks. It also holds the only closet on the 2nd floor, armours having been the mode of the 1890's. It offers a state-of-the-art television with Xfinity/Netflix, self-contained DVD player, and wireless service.
A Hospitality Room down the hall from Dora and Rigby offers a mid-century kitchenette with a refrigerator and sink, and a hot water kettle. Soups, cereals cocoa, coffee and tea are available for guest use, free of charge, and there is ample water and juice in the apartment-sized refrigerator. A cabinet holds more than a hundred DVD movies for guest use in their rooms. The Hospitality room may be joined with the Dora Suite on request, and holds twin trundle beds popular with families bringing their young persons to college, or with teams of children (over twelve only) coming to play during Hoopfest. In that case, other guests booking Rigby would be informed that the Hospitality Suite will not be available for their use.
The main floor of this historic home is decorated in period furnishings, and available for all to relax in, from breakfast each day (usually by 8 a.m.), to 10:00 p..m. Please see more photographs and take our drop-down tour, on our website, at 1899house.com! We are proud to be listed with the Better Business Bureau, as well as a wide variety of hosting websites, such as RubyDoors, Kush Tourism, loveandmarij.com, Flipkey, Air B&B, Bedandbreakfast.com, and iloveinns.com, and to be partnered with the Browne's Addition Neighborhood Council and other local businesses. We proudly serve Roast House's 1899 House Blend of coffee at breakfast (Beaver "half-slap" blend), that benefits the local Lands Council, and we provide free take-home samples of this, as well as locally-produced caramels and Chukar Cherry nut mixes and granola's for all guests!
Take a look at this unique, boutique bed and breakfast--indeed, let our home be your castle for your short stay in Spokane!
- Distance from Airport: 5 Miles
- Distance from Downtown: 1 Mile
- Cannabis Friendly:
Hours (Visit website to verify hours)
- Hours: Guests have access to the house 24/7, once registered, through the west guest entry, whose combination lock matches the guest's individual room combination. Common areas of the main floor are accessible from breakfast (usually before 8 a.m.) through 10:00 p.m. Tours for interested parties may be arranged through the Innkeeper.
- Seasonal Dates: Seasonal rates apply from Memorial Day weekend in May, through the end of September; however, commencing in Year Three (2015), we offer "Alumni" rates to returning guests! Remind us of your previous visit when you call!
Payment Types Accepted
- American Express:
- Check in Time: 3:00
- # of Guest Floors: 1
- # of Suites: 2
- $$$ ($100 & over per night)
- # of Sleeping Rooms: 2
- Cancellation Policy: $50 charge if cancellation less than 72 hours prior to arrival day
- Check Out Time: noon
- Year Built: 1899
- Last Restoration: ongoing!
- Jacuzzi/Hot Tub:
- Non-Smoking Available:
- Notes/Comments: 1899 House features four luxury suites complete with private baths. Situated within Spokane's Terabyte triangle, we offer state-of-the-art technology for business guests.
- # Double/Doubles: 4