1899 House was designed by the architect Loren Rand and constructed for the 10th Mayor of Spokane, Edward Louis Powell and his wife Dora. One of the Powell's chidren, Gerda, married a Rigby, and they later occupied the home with their family. During the early 1950's, as in many cases following WWII and The Korean War, the Powell home was sold out-of-family and converted to six apartments. In the 1990's its main floor was returned to single-family use, with the upstairs four apartments continuing multi-use. In 2002, Louie Flores III purchased the home, and began restoring its interior to its original single-family footprint; Gillian Cranehahn joined this effort in 2010, and restoration and renovation continue today. Eventually, the home's third floor one-bedroom apartment will be completed, as will four suites on the second floor. The many-layered roof has been stripped and redone; the plumbing updated, and central air conditioning and heating systems returned to working order and upgraded. Situated within Spokane's historic Browne's Addition neighborhood,1899 House is Spokane's only historic bed and breakfast with both central air conditioning and heating. It offers state-of-the-art internet for business guests' use, as well as a selection of sights and restaurants within a few blocks' walk. There is free curb-side parking, and bus service is also available. The bed and breakfast is owner-occupied, and only fifteen minutes from Spokane International Airport (GEG), and five minutes (.7 mile) from the heart of downtown. Continental breakfast is included in the room rate.
- Free WiFi:
- Distance from Airport: 5 Miles
- Distance from Downtown: 1 Mile
- Cannabis Friendly:
Hours (Visit website to verify hours)
- Hours: Guests have access to the house 24/7, once registered, through the west guest entry, whose combination lock matches the guest's individual room combination. Common areas of the main floor are accessible from breakfast (usually before 8 a.m.) through 10:00 p.m. Tours for interested parties may be arranged through the Innkeeper.
- Open Monday:
- Seasonal Dates: Seasonal rates apply from Memorial Day weekend in May, through the end of September; however, commencing in Year Three (2015), we offer "Alumni" rates to returning guests! Remind us of your previous visit when you call!
Payment Types Accepted
- American Express:
- $$$ ($151 or more per night)
- # of Guest Floors: 1
- # of Suites: 2
- # of Sleeping Rooms: 2
- Check in Time: 3:00
- Check Out Time: noon
- Year Built: 1899
- Last Restoration: ongoing!
- Cancellation Policy: $50 charge if cancellation less than 72 hours prior to arrival day
- Jacuzzi/Hot Tub:
- Non-Smoking Available:
- Notes/Comments: 1899 House features four luxury suites complete with private baths. Situated within Spokane's Terabyte triangle, we offer state-of-the-art technology for business guests.
- # Double/Doubles: 4