The Liberty Building or Kemp and Hebert BuildingThe Liberty Building has been a downtown landmark since 1908 when it opened as Kemp & Hebert's, a large cash and carry department store. That retail store survived the depression only to close in 1940. The Levitch brothers, Abe and Meyer, bought the building in 1944 and moved their Liberty Furniture Store to the site and operated a thriving retail business until closing in 1986. In 1993 Shannon Ahern and Chris O’Harra were looking for a building to house their growing book and game business. After looking for several years they bought the Kemp & Hebert building, renamed it the Liberty Building and added it to the National Register of Historical Places.